Thursday, August 20, 2009

8664. What should be the next step?


Before I get into the meat of my post I just want to say that C.A.R.R. hasn't taken an official position of 8664. This is all my opinion. Now, that we have gotten that out of the way, what should be 8664's next move? They may have already done some of the things I'm about to suggest. But just in case they haven't I hope they like my ideas.

8664 has gained a lot of traction among the general population. Every poll I have seen about 8664 has been pretty positive. However, they haven't swayed many of the power-brokers in town. Most of the metro council members, the mayor, and top business CEO's favor the downtown bridge. That needs to change.

It was a good move to spend money on creating images and videos to show people what Louisville would look like without I-64 as it passes through downtown, but that's not enough. More needs to be done. 8664 needs to show how their idea will benefit people in the South-End and the East End. Currently many residents think that we have spent to much time and resources in downtown Louisville. I get the feeling that most East-Enders don't really care either way. Many of them don't come downtown and if they did I would imagine what they really want is re-designed Spaghetti-Junction.

I think the folks at 8664 need to reach out to the people in the south end and fiscals conservatives in the East-End. It's going to have to move beyond it's base in the Highlands if it's going succeed. I think they will find a very receptive audience if they focus on the fact that 8664 will save money, free up funds for transportation improvements for the South-end, and improve congestion downtown. I think they should set up a meeting with South-End leaders Chris Thieneman, and Dan Seum. I think they can find some common ground.

I think the same fiscal argument will work in the East-end, and as well as a message that includes how 8664 can improve their commute to and from downtown. They will need a facts based argument, and pound home how this will save everybody money.

I would take a page out of the republican handbook. The republicans (on a national level) may not be good at coming up with alternative ideas, but they sure are good at killing one. Just look at the healthcare debate. I'm pretty sure 8664 wants to take the "high ground" but they can still use a couple of plays from the republican playbook. One is to scare people with the prospect of paying up to a $3 toll to cross the bridge. Once you find out how much would that cost the average citizen every year I would call it a bridge tax. When the mayor elections come around you can say things like " So and so wants to tax you $1000 a year just to go to Indiana."

Maybe you can have people protest outside of city hall or the Mayor's community conversations. Either way you are going to have to put pressure on the establishment. Pressure they can't ignore. This means that 8664 will have to reach out to people they may not have other wise.

They can do it, and I think they can be successful. We need them to be successful.



4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post and the good suggestions. For us to succeed, we need all the ideas and support we can get. It's time for Louisvillians to come together with a common purpose. Thanks for keeping the conversation going. The more people that are aware of the choices, the better decision we'll make. Please encourage people to sign up on http://www.8664.org to stay informed.
    Thanks again.
    Cheers,
    JC Stites, Co-founder, info@8664.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, great ideas, this needs more support...i posted something on my blog as well, http://thejoshjournal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,

    I discovered your blog via the Consuming Louisville website (My First Guided Neighborhood Tour: Michelle Goes to the West End) and I'm really enjoying it! I'm a middle aged white female living in Old Louisville. I couldn't agree more with most of what you say in your blog: we ARE a segregated city, and we definitely COULD do more if all the segments of Louisville worked together.

    I love the West End, much to the astonishment of my more fearful friends and acquaintances...they think I'm in danger if I venture past 9th St (then again, some people think I'm taking my life in my hands by living where I do). Maybe it's because I'm not a fearful person in general, or maybe it's because I never, in the 3 years I worked in the West End (38th & Garland, then Neighborhood House on 25th), had a single negative experience that I could attribute to location or race - whatever the reason, I'm as comfortable there as I am anywhere, and MORE comfortable than I am a lot of places. It is indeed a beautiful part of the city, and those who shy away are missing out.

    I'm Shelter Manager at the Kentucky Humane Society, and we've been looking for ways to get the word out about the Pit Fix program at our low cost spay/neuter facility, the S.N.I.P. Clinic. We offer FREE, no-strings-attached pitbull spay/neuter, but have had very few takers.

    It really is a community service, and we offer it for 2 simple reasons: spay/neuter is good for pets, and it's the most effective way to deal with pet overpopulation. There are unaltered Pits all over Jefferson County, but the greatest concentrations are in West and Southwest Louisville. If you'd be interested, I'd love a chance to talk with you about our program, and maybe some ways KHS could spread the word and get more people involved.

    Come visit me over at http://confessionsofasineater.blogspot.com/. and leave a comment if you'd like to talk!

    : )
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven,
    This is Ben from Blackbird502.com. I may have met you down at the United Way booth last month at the Russell Community Fair too. Can you email me @ bcp@blackbird502.com ? There are a few things I would like to ask you, including helping me with a forum at Bioneers in October ( http://bb2009.org ) Thanks.

    ReplyDelete